Monday, August 30, 2010

Happy Belated Birthday, MJ!

Yesterday was Michael Jackson's birthday. I spent it washing a car, eating ice cream, watching a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles special, and writing a list of 25 things about me for a facebook thing. I haven't posted it yet, mostly because I despise talking about myself.

Somewhat ironic for a blogger, oui?



So this last saturday I went to a meeting for Safe Rides, with my neighbor/best frand Tom, and her boyfriend wildman.
Safe Rides started in my town in 1986, and basically what it does is offers rides to teenagers who may be under the influence, and need a way to get home from a partay. It's completely confidential; you have to sign a document promising complete silence on the subject of who you're driving, with the understanding that if you go talking about it, you're no longer a member of Safe Rides.

Since I can't drive yet, I'm going to be a dispatcher, which basically means that I answer the phone, take down the caller's information, and then send the navigator and the driver off to pick them up.
It's a free service, which means that my job is a volunteer job, and therefore I won't get paid.
But it'll look good on college applications, and when you have no transcripts or extracurricular activities, you need all the help you can get with those things.

So on Saturday, while I was in the 5-hour long meeting, my family was 150 miles away at a baseball tournament my brother's team was playing in. Since it was so far away, they were staying overnight, which meant I got to sleepover at Amanda's.
But she had a sweet 16 to go to, so I was home alone for a while, drinking orange soda with grenadine and watching Bridget Jones's Diary, and the sequel, whatever it's called.
Those movies are pretty awesome. Although they're British, so I suppose being awesome is just part of the
job description.

The woman who plays Moaning Myrtle is in them. It rather terrified me to realize that she's an adult, and that her voice actually sounds like that.
Poor, poor child.
Nevertheless, it was a joy listening to four hours of english accents.

And then I fell asleep on the couch with a headache, woke up at 11pm, went next door to Amanda's house, and promptly fell asleep on her couch.
Day well spent.

The next morning we woke up, tuned on Nickelodeon, and watched the premiere of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles Forever.
It was amazing. They constantly repeated the phrase 'What the Shell?', and were generally sass masters.
But I've come to expect that of the TMNT. It's part of their whole persona, after all.
At least, their 90's persona.

And after that we washed her car, and then went to Coldestone, with Steve, and their friend Sarah, who laughs a lot and wears really high heels and was quite nice.
We also listened to Michael Jackson's 'Bad' CD in the car on repeat. It was beautiful.

So I realize I've been kind of AWOL. I apologize.
But writing takes effort! And I was lazy to begin with, so teenagerdom has only made me into a super-potato.
I did muster up the energy to go through my parent's CD collection again. Every time I look through it I find something new and exciting.
I now have The Cure, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, more Aerosmith and Foo Fighters, and Burnin' For You (by Blue Oyster Cult) on my iPod. woot!

All right. Enough of my nonsense. I have a shower to take.

Please enjoy:

Bacon is good for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment