Sunday, October 3, 2010

$10,000

"I'm going away for a while, but I'll be back don't try and follow me..."

So I was feeling rather depressed last night. Or rather, I was feeling my depression more than usual.
Either way, I decided to console myself by being dramatic and looking at sad pictures on Ffffound!
After a while, I found this:


Naturally, one immediately thinks of dying (or maybe that's just me.).
But then I stared at it for a while, and I thought, and I decided that it could also be taken literally. and the more I though about it, the more the idea appealed to me.
To simply take off. Leave and not come back. To just go.

I've always been kind of a homebody. I don't like partying, I don't get overly excited about going on vacation...my favorite type of day is one spent sitting by the fire reading a book.
But last night I was struck with this random need to just leave.

Fast forward to today:
So about an hour ago, I was going through blogs, and I found one answering the question 'What would you do with $10,000?'
Normally, I would answer 'Buy some books, get some clothes, and save the rest for a house/car/college.'
But after last night, I had a different answer. One that I actually found blogworthy.

What would I do with $10,000?
I would go to Europe.
Actually, first I'd put it away. I'd get a 5-year-certificate, and let it collect intrest while I was off doing the college thing.
In five years, I'll be 20. In the middle of college. This would probably stop me from going, so I'd stick back in the bank for a while longer, and I'd make plans.
By the time I was 22, I'd have $12,000 and absolutely no obligations.
And then I'd just go.

I wouldn't tell anyone.
I'd write letters of explanation and stick them in the mailboxes of my friends and family on the way to the airport.
Then I'd hop on a plane to France or Italy or Switzerland. Maybe Slovenia.
I'd obviously do some research and see which was the best one to live in.
I'd rent an apartment, get a job, and be alone for a year.
It'd be heaven.

Naturally I'd write. Just so my family would know I'm alive.
Everyone would get a monthly letter. I think I could swing that.
I'd keep away from my facebook (although I suppose I'd go on occasionally to check up on other people).
I'd get a bike and ride everywhere and I'd visit england and spain and anywhere else that struck my fancy.
And I'd write. I'd write all the time, and I do things and visit places and be alive.

As I write this, I'm getting ridiculously excited about it, despite the fact that $10,000 is not going to drop into my lap, and this is never going to actually happen.
I can easily see myself living in a small apartment/flat, being all european and working at a book store and speaking french.
It's the kind of hipster lifestyle that would work very well for me.

Speaking of hipsters, my best frand met the ultimate stupid-hippie hipsters (as opposed to the misunderstood artiste hipster) the other day.
She was with her boyfriend, who's a senior and apparently is friends with a multitude of hipsters.
So they're hanging out with some of his friends, who are mild hipsters, and then they decide to go meet up with some other friends of theirs, who apparently hang out at Whole Foods.
Oh. My. God.

So they get there, and they find the people who they're supposed to meet.
She described them to me like this:
"They...they were kind of dirty, you know? Not like, dirty, but their feet were all dirty and their hair was all..."organic". They had on these, these recycled hand made sandal-things, and cargo pants, and they're 18, and they work on a farm, and the guy was talking to Michelle (one of the mild hipsters), and they were discussing this book at whole foods about how to make your own cheese, and then he's like 'You know, making/growing your own food, it's eye-opening.' Oh God it was...oh god."

Oh, hipsters. I love them so.

No comments:

Post a Comment